I’m a lawyer and this blog is going to cover law-related topics, so I suppose I should have a disclaimer of some sort. Here goes:
- This blog represents my views and nobody else’s. Over time, old posts might not even represent my views anymore. It’s not like I’m going to go back to the archives, constantly reevaluating posts and then deleting them if I think they are stupid. Furthermore, the views expressed on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of my current employer, any of my former employers, or any of the lawyers with whom I’ve previously worked. This is all me. (I always think these sorts of disclaimers are strange. I mean, if I say something stupid it’s not like this disclaimer is going to prevent me from getting fired. Though I suppose it’s good for UW in case they want to disown me.)
- I am writing this blog because I like writing — about the law, about other things, about whatever. I am not writing this blog to provide legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship with anyone. If you want legal advice you should retain a lawyer; don’t get legal advice from my blog. And if you read something on the blog and then email me or comment on the blog and I write back, that’s not legal advice either. That’s just me responding to you about whatever you happened to write. That’s it. Don’t get any big ideas.
- If you go out and get yourself into trouble because you relied on something you read on this blog, well, first of all, I’m very sorry to hear that. But second of all, I just told you that I wasn’t providing legal advice on this blog! So I therefore have to expressly disclaim any liability of any kind with respect to anything you did or do or are thinking of doing based on any statement or omission in this blog. That goes for all comments and emails as well. And again, I’m sorry to hear about that trouble you got into.
- Like most blogs, this one will have links to other websites. That’s sort of how blogs work. When I link to something, it doesn’t mean that I love the other website or that the other website is virus free or that you should trust the things written on the other website or that when the owner of the other website emails you with a request for your bank account number you should give it to him. I disclaim any liability for anything and everything having anything to do with any link from this blog to another website.
- Just a reminder, since this is important: I’m not giving legal advice!
- Since you and I don’t have an attorney-client relationship, I do not owe you any duty of confidentiality or secrecy. That means, among other things, that if you send me an email or comment on a post, I can repeat your email/comment and disseminate it however I want. Or I can ignore it. Or whatever.
- I’m not affiliated with any law firm or legal practice or anything like that, so this may not be necessary, but I might as well tell you that nothing on this blog is legal advertising or advertising for legal services or anything like that.
- Remember what I said up there about not giving legal advice? Well, I’m not giving tax advice either. I will, however, give dating advice if you ask. But I’m also going to have to disclaim any liability for my dating advice since, you know, it might be awful.